Monday, June 15, 2009

I know I'm home when my shorts are newly ripped from barbed wire


It’s dangerous, coming “home.”  I still call Libby, Montana my home, even though I haven’t lived here permanently for many years.  But it’s home.  It’s always hard, leaving Montana once more and returning to Ohio.  As pleasant as Athens is, my body doesn’t seem to recognize its charms.

Alas, I am in love!  I’m enamored with my friends, international students and teachers who have brought color and vibrancy to my Athens life.  And I’m still giddy over teaching English, although I feel myself hardening.  (Note to self: do not become one of those stern, never-smiling instructors who revels in routine.)

Dream scene: Teaching ESL in Bozeman, Sandpoint, even Coeur d’ Alene.  Kayaking between essay drafts, backpacking on weekends.  Visiting my parents often and forging some sort of relationship with my brother.  Meeting a man who owns a pickup and knows his way around a Coleman stove.  (A man who doesn’t recoil at the idea of marriage--but that is a whole other fantasy.)

Part 1 of my plan (because I always, always have some sort of plan, no matter how transparently futile) is to bask in this newfound love.  The rest is top-secret, though I’m sure you can guess what it entails. 

I crush cedar for perfume.

2 comments:

Charitons said...

yay! you wrote again! please please please keep it up. Your writing is so real and fresh to read. All I write about is mommy stuff... maybe I need to read more.

Heather said...

Thanks, Jess! You were my inspiration, of course. I have your blog bookmarked and I check it all the time.

You must really be starving for some non-mom related reading material! Haha! I'll try to keep it 'fresh' for you. :)